In this example we will make two regions side by side. It is assumed you have a Windows 10 PC with at least 8Gb RAM.
This PC must be dedicated to being on and running when your Osgrid avatar wants access to your land (regions).
1. Please download the Osgrid simulator OSgrid OpenSimulator 0.9.2.dev.b598573 - [zip] [35.9mb] 05-22-2020 Then unzip it to you computer.
2. Make a new Folder called MyOsgrid and place the three unzipped components in it.
3. Open subfolder BIN. Right-Click file OpenSim.exe and click: Create Shortcut. Place this new shortcut on your desktop.
4. Scroll down subfolder BIN to file OpenSim.ini. (this is your configuration file). Open with Notepad or WordPad.
Scroll down through this file and you will see all the possible configuration changes available.
You will perhaps one-day want to enhance or change settings and its good to know all about this file.
NOTE: Your current Port Listener is set to 9000 in that code about 1/4 way down through it. Leave it as -is, but be aware its used later.
5. Go to Map Here scroll / find an unused / blank area for your region(s) placement.
Write down two side-by-side coordinates like: 7892,8430 and 7893,8430 (examples only - don't use these!)
Make sure there are no current used spaces around yours if you ever plan to have more regions.
Also try a couple region names that you plan to use and make sure they are not already used by someone else!
You need a PC with about 2Gb RAM per Region and 1/2Gb RAM per person as a general safe rule.
6. Please save your ip: 126.96.36.199
7. Determine the "Device IP" of your PC-Server: Scroll the Win10 left sidebar apps to: Windows System - Command Prompt.
type in: ipconfig and write down the IPv4 Address it will be like: 192.168.1.112 Close Command Prompt.
8. Access your router - could be something like entering http://192.168.1.1 but each router is different - check your manual.
You should also have an access password to enter. Router brands differ so this process varies slightly.
Find the feature called PORT RANGE FORWARDING (or similar) (may be in security settings) and Open it.
You need to create a grouping of ports like 9000 - 9007 (this would allow up to 8 future regions)
Turn Both Protocols ON and use your Device IP from step 7. Confirm or Apply the change, then Sign Out.
9. You now have everything in place to successfully create your first 256x256 little pimple un-terraformed island region!
Go to the desktop and find your OpenSim Shortcut - I usually rename mine to: Launch myName Osgrid
Double Click it... your console display will start scrolling. At some point a series of questions will be asked.
From 5 (above) we have YOUR 1st pair of coordinates (we will use the other one later in the optional steps below),
you know your avatars first and last name to provide, make up a one or two word Region Name & Estate Name.
most questions if unknown you can just press enter and use the default, BUT...
A. There is a question for "Internal_IP" with default 0.0.0.0 - Hit Return, do not enter an IP address!
B. There is a question for ExternalHostName default [SYSTEMIP]! do NOT hit return - substitute YOUR IP4 Address from
Question 6 above! (this is what EVERYONE does wrong the first time (along with port forwarding), so congrats, your home free!)
When all scrolling ends on the console, you can type help & many sub-helps to gain your needed admin knowledge.
Changing your pimple island into a full region land or full region water might be your first admin challenge to try soon!
10. Log into Osgrid using your (?Firestorm?) viewer, but substitute your newly created region name for
Jump up and down - fly up & spin around - grin ear to ear - YOU DID IT!!!
======= WANT TO ADD A 2ND ISLAND NEXT TO THIS ONE???
Interesting fun note: You can leave your avatar on the first island facing correctly (East?) so you can watch the 2nd island form!
1. On your console type in the command SHUTDOWN
2. Open your Folder and then the sub-folder BIN.
3. Find the Sub-sub Folder REGIONS. Open it up. There is a file called: Regions.ini Open it with Notepad or WordPad.
4. We can quickly make another co-located region by exactly following these steps below:
A. Drag over the entire text capturing [region name] to the end, and then COPY it with a space between the two sets.
B. You now have two identical sets of text stacked on top of each other with a space between, which will not work as-is.
C. Change the name of the 2nd region to different name inside [braces] you know is not being used by others.
D. In the RegionUUID 32 character hexidecimal ID code, change any two characters to a new different Hex value.
E. For Location you will use the alternative coordinates you wrote down in Step 5 (above). (only one digit changed)
F. InternalPort for the first region should be 9000, so this 2nd one needs to be changed to 9001
(note: You can keep adding more land using the above technique - just be aware of Ports, RAM and Map Coordinates)
5. Leave all else untouched and SAVE the Regions.ini file. Close Note/WordPad.
6. I am assuming your console has completely shutdown by this time.
7. Launch your desktop Start Up Executable Shortcut. A couple simple answers are required, hit enter to accept the defaults.
credit to: Alexis001 Resident
Job: Vice-PresidentHomesteads - Wright Plaza Shops
Job: Web AdminGrid maintenance
Job:Homesteads - Plazas
Job: SecretaryHomesteads - Plazas
Job:TreasurerHomesteads - Plazas
Job:Event Plaza Administrator